Okmulgee County deputy shoots, kills machete-wielding man
An Okmulgee County deputy shot and killed a man carrying a machete. Deputies were called to the man's home by someone who said the man was suicidal.
MORRIS — An Okmulgee County sheriff's deputy shot and killed a man who approached him with a machete Wednesday, authorities said.
Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation agents are looking into the officer-involved shooting.
Two deputies were called about 9:25 a.m. to 17401 Bristlecone Road when someone reported a suicidal person.
Robbie W. McMurtry, 50, appeared distraught and approached the deputies in a threatening manner while holding the machete, according to OSBI spokeswoman Jessica Brown and a statement from Okmulgee County Sheriff Eddy Rice.
One of the deputies, whose name was not released, shot and killed McMurtry.
Both deputies involved will be on administrative leave while the OSBI investigates the incident. The OSBI will turn over its findings to the district attorney, who will decide whether the shooting was justified.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 16804Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8821OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6453Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5885Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5756OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4970Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4920Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater