Olympic men's snowboardcross pushed to Tuesday

Published on NewsOK Modified: February 17, 2014 at 5:31 am •  Published: February 17, 2014
Advertisement
;

KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia (AP) — The Olympic men's snowboardcross has been pushed back to Tuesday because of fog.

Officials postponed the race early Monday afternoon when a heavy fog blanketing Rosa Khutor Extreme Park failed to lift.

The decision came after officials scrubbed the seeding runs originally set for 10 a.m. local time. The expected 1:30 p.m. start of the elimination rounds came and went with visibility still low.

Tuesday's race will be under a modified format. There will be no qualifying and instead the racers will be bracketed based on their world ranking.

There will be seven heats of five riders each and one heat of four. The top three in each will advance to the quarterfinal rounds. Nate Holland and Trevor Jacob of U.S. will ride in the same opening heat.

"This fog, it's super dense up there," said Holland, a seven-time X Games winner in search of his first Olympic medal. "It's the Olympics. We want to have the best rider win and not have anything screwy."

The delay was the first at the Extreme Park, which had been the home to sunny skies, comfortable temperatures and slushy snow during the first week-plus of the games.

"I called it as soon as I got here, that there would be bad weather on the day I race," Australian snowboardcross racer Jarryd Hughes said. "It can't stay sunny the whole time for that long."

| |

Advertisement


Trending Now



AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Former OU coach Sunny Golloway goes off at Auburn
  2. 2
    Chelsea Clinton Is Pregnant
  3. 3
    Tulsa World: Missouri’s Frank Haith positioned to become TU’s basketball coach
  4. 4
    Oklahoma football: Peyton Manning stops by Sooners film session
  5. 5
    VIDEO: A look at the Air Jordan XX9 in Thunder colors
+ show more