KONAWA — One person died and seven others were hospitalized early Saturday after ingesting an hallucinogenic designer drug at a party, officials said.
The name of the deceased has not been released pending next of kin notification, Seminole County Chief Deputy Todd Hignite said.
The victim — a female — was pronounced dead at Integris Hospital in Seminole, Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Jessica Brown said.
Emergency responders were called about 1:30 a.m. to a home at 13491 State Highway 9A, a rural area of Seminole County between Konawa and Maud, where they found a group of young adults suffering from severe drug toxicity, Brown said.
Seven people between the ages of 19 and 25 were taken to hospitals, Hignite said.
Two of those people were reportedly in “very critical” condition, Brown said, but she did not have the conditions of the remaining five. Three of the victims were hospitalized at Valley View Regional Hospital in Ada, and four others were taken to Norman Regional Hospital, she said.
Interviews still are being conducted to determine exactly what happened at the home, Hignite said.
A reporter's phone call to the residence was not answered Saturday.
Cody Weddle, 20, of Ada, was arrested at Valley View Regional Hospital while visiting one of the victims before noon Saturday, Brown said.
Weddle is thought to have supplied the drug to the partygoers, she said. He was being held in Pontotoc County jail on complaints of conspiracy and first-degree murder.
OSBI think the drug is 2C-E, a drug similar to Ecstasy.
However, unlike Ecstasy, 2C-E does not appear on the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency's controlled substances schedule.
In March, 2C-E reportedly left one 19-year-old dead and 10 others hospitalized after they ingested the drug at a spring break party in Blaine, Minn.
“I can't say that we see all that much of it (2C-E) here in Oklahoma, but we're seeing a lot of these designer drugs reaching Oklahoma and being sold as Ecstasy,” Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Control spokesman Mark Woodward said.
“A lot of these amateur chemists started switching the chemicals thinking, ‘Hey this isn't Ecstasy, so they can't get me,'” he said.
“If a state has not scheduled it yet, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not illegal. They can be prosecuted not by what the product is, but how it's advertised. If you're talking about getting high with it, even something as simple as spray paint can be illegal in that context,” Woodward said.
“Parents need to talk to their kids about the dangers of this stuff, and kids need to understand that there's a lot of stuff out there that's not going to be what they say it is,” he said.