Authorities are investigating the death of an Oklahoma City woman and accusations that her husband was running an illegal gambling operation out of their home.

Related Articles from NewsOK and The Oklahoman

  • Arena League Football does not plan investigation

    | Published: Wed, Dec 12, 2012

    The Arena Football League will not make any official inquiry into gambling by Paul Ross, the league commissioner said.

  • Tulsa Talons co-owner admits gambling

    BY NOLAN CLAY AND ROBBY TRAMMELL | Updated: Wed, Dec 12, 2012

    A co-owner of the Tulsa Talons admitted to the FBI that he was a gambler involved with sports “bookie” Teddy Mitchell, The Oklahoman has learned. Paul Alexander Ross, 52, said, “We were stupid.” The Tulsa Talons were an Arena Football League team.

  • TU athletic director fired

    BY NOLAN CLAY AND ROBBY TRAMMELL Staff Writers | Published: Tue, Dec 4, 2012

    The University of Tulsa's athletic director, Ross M. Parmley, was fired Tuesday. Parmley admitted to the FBI last year that he bet on college and professional football games, a source said.

  • Suspended TU athletic director never bet on TU games, attorney says

    BY NOLAN CLAY AND ROBBY TRAMMELL | Published: Wed, Nov 28, 2012

    University of Tulsa's suspended athletic director will cooperate with an NCAA investigation, his attorney said Wednesday. TU put Ross M. Parmley on paid administrative leave Tuesday after the FBI identified him as an “admitted gambler.”

  • TU athletic director is an 'admitted gambler,' FBI says

    BY NOLAN CLAY AND ROBBY TRAMMELL | Updated: Tue, Nov 27, 2012

    University of Tulsa Athletic Director Ross M. Parmley was suspended with pay Tuesday after the FBI identified him as an “admitted gambler” who was involved with Teddy Mitchell, who authorities believe acted as a bookmaker. Parmley has not been charged.

  • FBI says Teddy Mitchell involved wife in illegal poker games

    BY NOLAN CLAY | Published: Mon, Nov 26, 2012

    In a newly unsealed court affidavit, the FBI says Teddy Mitchell, of Oklahoma City, involved his wife, Julie Mitchell, in the illegal poker games before her homicide in 2010. The FBI also revealed that Teddy Mitchell had been under investigation for eight years before a grand jury indicted him....

  • Teddy Mitchell's gambling case trial delayed to April

    BY NOLAN CLAY | Published: Fri, Oct 19, 2012

    A federal judge Friday reset the jury trial for Teddy Mitchell and nine other defendants to April 9. Mitchell, two of his sons, six other men and a Costa Rican company are accused of involvement in illegal gambling.

  • Oklahoma County sheriff says he will return donations from accused gambler

    BY ZEKE CAMPFIELD | Updated: Wed, Oct 17, 2012

    Sheriff John Whetsel said he already has written a check to return $2,690 donated to his campaign by Teddy Mitchell, who was indicated last month for hosting illegal poker games at his Oklahoma City home.

  • Federal judge rules Teddy Mitchell can keep attorney in Oklahoma City gambling case

    BY NOLAN CLAY | Published: Fri, Oct 5, 2012

    A federal judge let a well-known Oklahoma City defense attorney stay in an illegal gambling case even though the attorney's father is a prosecution witness. Attorney Scott Adams is representing Teddy Mitchell, the main defendant in an 81-count indictment. The attorney's father, Richard Adams, is...

  • Judge will decide whether Teddy Mitchell can keep defense attorney

    BY NOLAN CLAY | Updated: Tue, Oct 2, 2012

    Federal prosecutors notified U.S. District Judge David Russell that the father of Teddy Mitchell's defense attorney will be a government witness in the illegal gambling case against Mitchell, of Oklahoma City.

  • Witness in Oklahoma illegal gambling case attacked in July

    BY NOLAN CLAY | Published: Mon, Oct 1, 2012

    A witness in the illegal gambling case against Teddy Mitchell was attacked at his insurance office in July. Insurance agent Michael Wayne Thomas, 41, suffered a concussion and black eye.

  • Edmond police not releasing assault details

    Published: Mon, Oct 1, 2012

    Edmond police are investigating an assault on Edmond insurance agent Michael Wayne Thomas but are releasing little information.

  • At a glance: Defendants, counts in illegal gambling case

    Published: Tue, Sep 25, 2012

    A breakdown of the 10 defendants and the felony counts against them




A look at the events and the investigation since Julie Mitchell's 2010 homicide in Oklahoma City.

Nov. 2, 2010
The body of Julie Mitchell, 34, is found by a stepson about 10:20 p.m. at her northwest Oklahoma City home, 640 NW 150. Her 13-month-old daughter, who was unharmed, was found next to her mother's body in a pool of blood. On her Facebook page, Mitchell earlier wrote: “I am so happy. I am now a Mom! I love my little baby girl London more than I could have ever imagined! Life now has officially begun:-).”

Nov. 4, 2010
Oklahoma City police refuse to release the 911 call concerning Julie Mitchell's death.

Nov. 5, 2010
Police say Julie Mitchell was beaten to death and they are looking into information written in an anonymous letter given to local media outlets about the death. The medical examiner's office says Mitchell suffered blunt-force trauma wounds to the head. There was no indication of sexual assault.
Nov. 12, 2010
The Oklahoman reports that attorney Larry Cassil, a Mitchell family friend, said Julie Mitchell's body was found in front of a safe in a closet. He said a “considerable amount of money” was taken.

Dec. 7, 2010
A group calling itself Friends of Julie Mitchell offers a $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of her killer, police said.

Jan. 27, 2011
An autopsy report is released showing Julie Mitchell suffered a broken nose, broken jaw, shattered skull, broken rib and 25 large cuts to her scalp. Four teeth were missing. She had a cut on her tongue, cuts to her chin and cuts to her lips. She had nine cuts and 12 bruises on her face. A bone inside her mouth was broken. She had abrasions on her chest and seven bruises on her right hand.

March 9, 2011
Police confirm that two Oklahoma City television stations have each received another anonymous letter connected to the beating death of Julie Mitchell.

March 19, 2011
The Oklahoman reports a state multicounty grand jury is being used in the Julie Mitchell death investigation.

March 29, 2011
The grand jury hears testimony from the husband and a stepson of Julie Mitchell. Husband Teddy Mitchell testified almost three hours and stepson Daniel Mitchell testified for almost two hours.

April 20, 2011
The grand jury hears testimony from two of Julie Mitchell's other stepsons, Nick Mitchell and Dryden Mitchell, who each testified about two hours. Another witness, Edmond insurance agent Michael Thomas, refused to testify, citing his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

April 21, 2011
The Oklahoman reports the FBI and Internal Revenue Service are investigating illegal gambling accusations surrounding Teddy Mitchell.

May 18, 2011
The Oklahoman reports that a federal grand jury has become involved in the gambling inquiry of Teddy Mitchell. His attorney, Scott Adams, says Mitchell denies involvement in illegal gambling.

August 11, 2011
Julie Mitchell's father, Harvey Bryant, testifies before the state multicounty grand jury and then asks for the public's help in solving the case. “There's a killer out there and we need to find him,” Bryant said. “Somebody out there knows something. I wish they would come forward.”

Police search Michael Thomas' Edmond home and insurance office, taking computers. Police also collect a DNA sample.