Only thing soft about Sooners center Nicole Griffin is her Charmin-like shot
Griffin scored a career high 21 points Sunday to lead the Sooner women to an 80-61 rout of Oklahoma State.
NORMAN — Three times in the second half of Bedlam, Nicole Griffin fought her way into scoring position on the post, caught the ball and turned to launch a jump hook shot that floated so gracefully, it wouldn't have cracked eggs had they been lined along the rim.
Videoview all videos
Feb 10Nicole Griffin dominated in the post, scoring a game-high...
Photoview all 17 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Time was, the 6-foot-6 OU center was soft. Now, only her shot is Charmin-like.
Griffin scored a career high 21 points Sunday to lead the Sooner women to an 80-61 rout of OSU, and this is what Sherri Coale envisioned when she beat out the likes of Stanford, Duke and Louisville for Griffin three years ago.
“So happy for Nic, to have that kind of day on this stage,” Coale said of a victory earned before a crowd of 10,567 in Lloyd Noble Center. “Nic has gone up against great post players all year. Her confidence is continually growing, because of that.”
A skilled 6-6 center in women's basketball is a weapon of mass destruction, unless she can't handle the physical strain. To some degree, that described Griffin in her first year or so as a Sooner.
But the days are over of pushing Griffin away from the basket, of roughing her up in the paint.
“She's long and she has gotten a lot better over the last couple of years,” said State coach Jim Littell. “She shoots that little jump hook and keeps it high. Has a nice touch on it.”
Then Littell gave Griffin one of those inside compliments that come from knowing the game.
“She does her work before the ball comes in there on sealing you, getting the ball down there in the paint,” Littell said. “She's a handful there.”
Doesn't Toni Young know it. OSU's leading scorer and rebounder picked up two fouls in the first six minutes, the second trying to defend Griffin in the post. Young sat the rest of the half, and though OSU hung tough, trailing just 31-28 at halftime, Young never was much of a factor in the second half.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10710Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10389Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10187Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9807Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6458Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4074Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4073Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes