1894: The Rev. Sam Small, a charismatic evangelist comes to Oklahoma City with the idea of establishing a newspaper. He selected a name — The Daily Oklahoman — and within the initial two weeks of publication announced the opening of offices at Guthrie, Perry, Norman, Ardmore, Yukon, El Reno and Newkirk, complete with local correspondents.
1900: The Oklahoman is purchased in March by Roy Stafford and W.T. Parker. Stafford then bought out his partner.
1903: Roy Stafford agrees to sell a minority interest in the newspaper to Edward K. Gaylord and two associates he brought with him from St. Joseph, Mo. — Ray Dickinson, an advertising man, and Roy McClintock, a news editor. In January 1903, The Oklahoma Publishing Co. was formed.
February 1903: Oklahoma City's first “extra” was printed, and the newspaper scored its first big scoop against its evening competition.
1907: The Oklahoman spearheaded the successful fight for statehood. Victory was declared, and Oklahoma City began to grow.
January 1909: The Oklahoman's building, including the pressroom, is badly damaged by fire. While the fire was still burning, E.K. Gaylord arranged to print The Oklahoman's next paper at The Times-Journal plant and the newspaper never missed an edition and still hasn't.
1909: After the fire, The Oklahoman moves to NW 4 and Broadway.
1910: The Oklahoman mounted a successful campaign to move the state capital to Oklahoma City.
1916: The Oklahoman bought its afternoon rival, the Oklahoma City Times, at a foreclosure auction for $35,000. The Gaylord family operated both newspapers for 68 years before finally merging the two in 1984.
1918: E.K. Gaylord becomes president of The Oklahoman in 1918 when Stafford sells his interest.
1928: The first licensed radio station west of the Mississippi is bought and renamed WKY. OPUBCO later established WKY-TV, the first TV station in Oklahoma.
1929: A production plant to house the presses was built.
1935: The Oklahoman and Times were among 14 charter subscribers to a new concept — a wirephoto service.
1936: Edward Lewis Gaylord started his first job with The Oklahoma Publishing Co., working in the parts department of the Mistletoe Express garage and was paid $2.50 a day.
1956: The Oklahoma Publishing Co. purchased WTVT in Tampa and St. Petersburg, Fla., in 1956.
1961: The company became the first newspaper in the world to use a computer to set type.
1962: The Oklahoma Publishing Co. announced plans for a $3 million, five-story building at its NW 4 and Broadway complex, expanding facilities for The Oklahoman and Times. The roof of the new structure became the first heliport for a downtown Oklahoma City building.
1962: The Oklahoma Publishing Co. leased KTVT television, an independent station in Dallas with an option to buy.
1963: Newspaper staffers moved into the new office building in 1963.
1963: Publisher's Petroleum was created as an oil and gas division of The Oklahoma Publishing Co.
1965: Edward L. Gaylord continued to direct the expansion of the company's broadcast properties. The Oklahoma Publishing Co. obtained a license to build an independent television station in Houston. KHTV had one of the strongest television signals along the Gulf Coast.
1966: OPUBCO buys Semco Color Press and Package Engineers in Oklahoma City. Semco becomes Oklahoma Graphics. Package Engineers becomes National Packaging. Both are sold in the late 1980s.
1970s: Acquires KSTW-TV in Seattle-Tacoma and radio stations KRKE-AM and FM in Albuquerque, N.M., and KYTE-AM and KLLB-FM in Portland, Ore.
1970s: Establishes Gaylord Production Co. in Los Angeles to provide television stations with programming.
1974: Edward L. Gaylord assumed leadership of The Oklahoma Publishing Co. after his father's death. E.K. Gaylord was 101 at the time of his death. By this time, father and son had built a media empire that included not only The Oklahoman and the Oklahoma City Times, but also radio stations in Oklahoma City and Albuquerque; and television stations in Oklahoma City, Tampa-St. Petersburg, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Milwaukee and Seattle.
1975: WKY, now known as KFOR, is sold.
1977: OPUBCO buys the Colorado Springs Sun, which is sold in 1986.
1981: The newspaper helped develop the first electronic news library linked to computer typesetting and accessible to reporters by computer. DataTimes is sold in 1996.
1983: Purchased the Opryland Complex in Nashville, Tenn. The purchase included The Nashville Network (TNN), Country Music Television (CMT) and CMT Europe cable networks, the Opryland Hotel, the Opryland Theme Park, Opryland Music Group and the showboat General Jackson.
1984: The Daily Oklahoman and the Oklahoma City Times merge.
1985: The Oklahoman expands to a 315,000-square-foot printing plant at the southeast corner of the Broadway Extension and Britton Road. The newspaper became the first metropolitan daily to convert to electronic page composition.
1988: Controlling interest in The Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, Colo., is bought.
1989: The Oklahoma Publishing Co. enters into a joint venture with Shaw Publishing Co., based in Charlotte, N.C.
1991: Gaylord Entertainment Co. is created as a publicly traded, diversified entertainment communications company.
1991: Other Oklahoman employees move to a 12-story office building at Britton Road and Broadway Extension. At the 1991 dedication of the newspaper office tower, Edward L. Gaylord tells employees his son, E.K. Gaylord II, will join him in directing management of the newspaper.
1995: Ground is broken for Gaillardia, a planned community offering a private country club, golf course and luxury homes in northwest Oklahoma City.
1996: Connect Oklahoma launches its website, evolving into what is now NewsOK.com.
1997: Gaylord Entertainment Co. sells its TNN and CMT cable networks to CBS Corp. for more than a billion dollars.
2002: Christy Gaylord Everest is elected president of The Oklahoma Publishing Co. after E.K. Gaylord II steps down to pursue interests in the horse and film industries.
See Page 14A
2003: Edward L. Gaylord in mid-April 2003 announces he is stepping down as publisher and editor of The Oklahoman, and names two people to succeed him. David Thompson becomes publisher, and Ed Kelley becomes editor.
April 27, 2003: Edward L. Gaylord dies.
2003: Christy Gaylord Everest becomes chairman and chief executive of The Oklahoma Publishing Co. after her father's death.
2005: The Hotel Jerome in Aspen, Colo., is bought.
2006: OPUBCO is one of four partners developing a 500-room hotel and golf resort along the banks of the lower Colorado River, 13 miles east of Austin, Texas. The resort is named the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa.
2008: The Oklahoma Publishing Co. acquires De Wafelbakkers, a breakfast food company.
2010: The Oklahoma Publishing Co. acquires an equal interest in Pavestone Company LP, a Dallas-based manufacturer of concrete landscaping products.
2011: Chris Reen is named President of OPUBCO Communications Group/Publisher of The Oklahoman. Kelly Dyer Fry is named Editor/Vice President of The Oklahoman.
2011: The Oklahoma Publishing Co. and other Gaylord properties are sold to The Anschutz Corporation, owned by Denver-based businessman Philip Anschutz.
NewsOK.com has disabled the comments for this article.