Share “Ortiz, Red Sox agree to 2015 contract plus...”

Ortiz, Red Sox agree to 2015 contract plus options

Published on NewsOK Modified: March 24, 2014 at 12:50 am •  Published: March 24, 2014
Advertisement

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) — Big Papi is staying put.

David Ortiz and the Red Sox agreed to a 2015 contract Sunday with options for the following two years, a move that means the popular slugger will probably finish his career in Boston.

Ortiz, the World Series MVP last season, has led the Red Sox to three championships in the past 10 years. He batted .309 with 30 home runs and 103 RBIs in 137 games last season after missing all of spring training while rehabbing a strained Achilles tendon.

The 38-year-old designated hitter has 431 major league homers and has made nine All-Star teams in 11 years with Boston.

The Red Sox announced the deal Sunday night. It includes a club or vesting option for 2016, and a club option for 2017.

"With this agreement, we have near certainty that David Ortiz will finish his career in a Red Sox uniform, which is something we have all wanted and that we are all proud of," owner John Henry said in a statement. "It is difficult to describe David's contributions to our city both on the field and off the field, and we are so proud to have this ambassador of our game with us as he continues on this road to Cooperstown."

Multiple media outlets reported earlier that the sides had reached an agreement that guarantees Ortiz $16 million in 2015. He is set to earn $15 million this season as part of a two-year contract he signed in November 2012.

The team said Ortiz, manager John Farrell and general manager Ben Cherington would be available to the media Monday in Sarasota before the Red Sox play the Baltimore Orioles.

Continue reading this story on the...