Osborne is happy he didn't trip running onto field
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne says he's glad he made it to the other side of the field when he jogged out of the tunnel into Memorial Stadium before the game against Minnesota last weekend.
Coach Bo Pelini asked the Hall of Fame coach to join the team for the Tunnel Walk as part of "Salute to Tom Osborne Day." Osborne is retiring Jan. 1.
The 75-year-old Osborne said Wednesday: "I was just hoping I made it to the other side without getting run over or tripping."
Osborne said he didn't feel it was his place to run onto the field, but Pelini insisted.
Osborne said the day was "overwhelming." He said a lot of nice things were said about him — "that often happens when you die or you retire."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11235Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 11138Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5575Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 5081Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4332OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4278Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4021How to help tornado victims