Magistrate Du Plessis said reporters could attend the trial but turned down the SABC request, saying he wanted to guard against the "emotional hype" and that any public interest in the trial stemmed only from the intense interest in the murder case against Oscar Pistorius. News photographers were not allowed to cover the trial while it was in session.
In opposing the application to have the court proceedings broadcast, Oldwadge said the legal team for Oscar Pistorius had been "overwhelmed by the media" during his bail hearing and that similar press scrutiny would make it difficult to work in court during the older brother's case. Oldwadge cited a comment by the chief magistrate in Oscar Pistorius' bail hearing that the media treated the athlete and multiple Paralympic champion like some kind of unusual "species" instead of a human being.
Oscar's legal team filed an appeal against some of his bail conditions on March 7, objecting to him being not allowed to travel outside of South Africa even though a magistrate said he was not a flight risk when granting him 1 million rand ($108,000) bail. They're also challenging an alcohol ban and a ruling that Pistorius cannot speak with residents at the gated estate where he shot girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp dead in the early hours of Valentine's Day, among other conditions.
The athlete denies murdering Steenkamp and says he shot her by mistake, fearing an intruder was in his home. Prosecutors say he killed her intentionally following an argument.
Oscar Pistorius must appear in court again on June 4. Brother Carl must return to the Vanderbijlpark court next Wednesday.
Follow Gerald Imray at www.twitter.com/GeraldImrayAP