It’s not the shiny gold statue that will be garnering all of the attention at the Academy Awards — it's the fashion statement that’s made by those will be lucky enough to hold one.
Buzz names you’ll hear when a reporter asks the inevitable “Who are you wearing?” are designers including Dior, Zac Posen, Versace, Oscar De La Renta, and many more. But it's about more than the dress — it's about the look. Shoes, bags, jewelry, hair. Each detail is all-important to the overall flawless appearance.
In anticipation of the 85th Academy Awards on Feb. 24, I’ve found beauty secrets the stars use to perfect their looks. Here are 10 that you can use too.
1. According to makeup artist Joanna Schlip (refinery29.com) putting cherry Jell-O on moisturized lips will stain your lips so you won’t have to reapply constantly. She says to just dip your finger in the powder and layer on wet lips.
2. If you want luscious, silky hair condition your hair when it’s dry, author Kym Douglas suggests. It holds in moisture better. You can leave it in for a while or rinse straight away.
3. My favorite beauty tip is to apply nasal spray or Visine to a blemish to take away the acne inflammation. Proactiv founder Dr. Kathy Fields says they work like a steroid. Since eye drops and nasal spray shrink blood vessels, they can get rid of puffiness and under eye circles.
4. According to refinery29, celebrities often take baths after their makeup is applied. This sets the makeup and gives it a dewy look.
5. If the red carpet is cold enough to make lips quiver and goosebumps rampant, your once fresh face can turn into a blistery mess. Lucy Liu uses Aquaphor. She told In Style Magazine the healing ointment keeps her skin looking fresh when she's doing movies in freezing locations. Gwyneth Paltrow uses Omega 3 oil on her face for a youthful glow.
Now that you have your look down, it's time to rock the full-length photographs with these tips to looking slim. These are tips I use when hosting on television as well.
6. Turn your body slightly sideways positioning your feet in front of one another.
7. Keep your arms away from your body so you aren't squeezing any fat or muscle on your arms in unflattering ways.
8. Of course, good posture is key. Think head over shoulders and shoulders over hips when you're adjusting yourself. Roll those shoulders back. You'll also feel more confident about yourself.
9. Also, don't hold your smile for too long. It will inevitably start looking forced. Wait until the last minute to shine those pearly whites.
10. My favorite slim trick is to try to be slightly lower than the lens. If the photographer can take the photo a bit above you and looking down, you'll instantly look slimmer.
Use these tips at your next charity event or special occasion and be a stand out in the crowd.