OSHA accuses Kwick Stop of retaliation against whistle-blower
Modern Oil Co., which operates about 30 Kwick Stop Convenience Stores in the Shawnee area, has been accused by the U.S. Department of Labor of illegally firing an employee who complained about workplace safety issues last year.
The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration has accused a Shawnee company of illegally firing an employee who complained about a workplace safety issue in 2009.
Modern Oil Co., which does business as Kwick Stop Convenience Stores, could not be reached for comment Tuesday.
One of the company's employees complained to OSHA in July 2009 that workers were exposed to safety hazards at the Shawnee convenience store where she worked by beverage boxes that were stacked too high, according to a lawsuit filed July 15 in federal court in Oklahoma City.
She previously had complained to the store manager.
The employee, Monica Williams, was fired on Aug. 22, 2009, after the store manager figured out she was the one who had contacted OSHA, the lawsuit states.
"Employees should be free to exercise their rights under the law without fear of termination or retaliation by their employers," said William A. Burke, OSHA's acting regional administrator in Dallas. "This lawsuit underscores the Labor Department's commitment to vigorously take action to protect those rights."
The Labor Department is seeking reinstatement, back pay and damages on Williams' behalf.
Modern Oil operates about 30 convenience stores in the Shawnee area, according to the Labor Department. The company has about 300 employees.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims