OSU basketball: Cowboys surprised with quick selection-show appearance, stout opponent
STILLWATER — Oklahoma State didn't have to wait long to find out its NCAA Tournament destination.
Less than five minutes into Sunday's selection show, the Cowboys popped up on the large TV screens inside the OSU locker room as the No. 5 seed in the Midwest Region, with a second-round matchup against 12th-seeded Oregon on tap Thursday in San Jose, Calif.
Videoview all videos
Mar 17Oklahoma reacts to returning to the Big Dance for the...
Mar 17Oklahoma State is a No. 5 seed in the Midwest Regional....
Photoview all 8 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
There was no wild roar from the players gathered on the couches in front of the televisions. But there were claps and cheers, then another reaction when CBS analyst Greg Anthony called the Cowboys a sleeper in that bracket.
“It did shock me, (being called) right away,” coach Travis Ford said. “I didn't expect it that quick.”
Ford figured his Cowboys would be a No. 5 seed and had a hunch they would get sent to San Jose. But there was a bit of surprise surrounding OSU's opponent, an Oregon squad that finished tied for second in the Pac-12 regular-season standings and won the conference tournament over the weekend.
“You really don't need to say anything else,” Ford said. “They just won the Pac-12 championship.”
Immediately after the Cowboys' spot in the field of 68 was revealed, Ford pulled out his iPad to start researching the Ducks. Many players took to Twitter to express their immediate excitement, with Le'Bryan Nash posting “I like that everybody talking about our matchup #spotlight.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad