OSU basketball notebook: Little things costly for Cowboys
There were plenty of big things contributing to Oklahoma State's 64-60 loss Saturday, like the 37 points Baylor scored off turnovers and second chances.
Videoview all videos
Feb 6Jenni Carlson and John Helsley talk about a much better...
Feb 4With only seven players available, Oklahoma State fell...
Photoview all 17 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But two key plays late punctuated what went wrong for the Cowboys in their upset bid.
* After the Cowboys had taken their only lead, 57-56, on Keiton Page's 3-pointer with 1:42 remaining, OSU coach Travis Ford warned his team what was coming, zeroing in on Baylor point guard Pierre Jackson. Then Jackson drove the lane, drawing Le'Bryan Nash over to help on defense, before dishing to Quincy Acy for an easy basket.
“We called timeout and we told them exactly what was going to happen,” Ford said. “Exactly what was going to happen, 100 percent, they did exactly what we said they were going to do. And our guys tried everything they could to stop it.
“I knew Pierre Jackson was going to get a ball screen and he was going to shoot it, drive it or pass it. The last two minutes of the game, if the game is close for them, he is going to make the play. That's what they do.”
* Down 62-60, the Cowboys seemed to get the break they needed when Baylor's Brady Heslip missed the front end of a one-and-one with :09.4 left. Heslip was 23-of-24 from the line before the miss. Except Acy leaped high for the offensive rebound, and the Bears soon put the game out of reach with two made foul shots.
“A good rebounder is always rebounding,” said Bears coach Scott Drew. “(Acy) could have said, ‘Brady's missed one free throw all year. I'm going to take this one easy.'”
GUERRERO'S RETURN UNCERTAIN
Before Saturday's game, it was announced that OSU freshman Cezar Guerrero would sit out under suspension for “violation of team policy.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 98297Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16555OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13177Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8674Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8399Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8073How to help tornado victims
- 7770Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort