OSU basketball notebook: Mismanaging mid-game stretches
OSU's latest loss revealed another chapter in a disturbing trend of mid-game meltdowns.
In four of their last five games, the Cowboys have been outscored 57-8 during decisive stretches spanning the few minutes on each side of halftime.
Videoview all videos
Jan 27Marshall Moses had 14 points and 11 rebounds, but the...
Jan 27Eddie Sutton, Desmond Mason, Andre Williams and Doug...
Jan 24While more than a decade has passed since 10 members of...
Photoview all 33 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
In their 61-46 win, the Longhorns closed on a 7-0 run over the final 1:39 of the first half, then opened the second half 7-0 in the first 2:29.
“It's 27-27, and they end the half 34-27,” said Cowboys coach Travis Ford. “Every mistake we made after that, they converted.”
And it seems to be a recurring theme.
* At Texas A&M, the Aggies used an 8-0 stretch over the middle minutes to kick start a 71-48 romp.
* Home against Iowa State, the Cyclones put together a 14-0 run – six points to close the first half, eight straight to start the second – to rally from behind into the lead, although the Cowboys closed strong to win in overtime.
* At Baylor, the Bears scored seven straight points on each side of intermission, 14 straight, to take command on the way to their 76-57 win.
UP NEXT: AT TEXAS TECH
The Cowboys, winless on the road, visit Texas Tech on Saturday.
Tip time is 3 p.m.
The Red Raiders, once struggling, seem to have revived themselves. After posting their first Big 12 win against Nebraska on Saturday, they won at Iowa State Wednesday, 92-83.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 69024Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31222Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 29103Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 19272Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6654Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6511Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 5366Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond