OSU class will feature strong emphasis on defensive tackles
NewsOK Related Articles
4. If you're an elite talent, the Pokes will pursue you regardless of position or current needs on the roster. Sims is a perfect example. When Sims orally committed, OSU had quality, young depth at running back behind Kendall Hunter with Smith, Randle and the departed Travis Miller. Heading into 2011, Smith and Randle should be key playmakers but, as Randle proved in 2010, if you're talented enough, OSU will find a way to get you on the field. And Sims is plenty talented.
Lyndell Johnson of Plano (Texas) East might be OSU's best defensive recruit. Johnson is the perfect prospect to play STAR linebacker for the Pokes, a position that is manned by 2010 Co-Defensive Freshman of the Year Shaun Lewis.
But Bill Young and the Pokes' defensive staff have shown during his tenure that they will find a way to get the best 11 players on the field. Richetti Jones moved inside at times in 2009, and cornerback Andrew McGee played a hybrid cornerback/safety role at times in 2010. If Johnson shows he's ready to make an impact, Young will get him on the field.
5. In this era of spread offenses, you can never have too many cornerbacks. The Cowboys played three true freshmen cornerbacks in 2010, and starter Brodrick Brown just finished his sophomore season. Additionally, Andrae May has two more seasons with the Pokes. That's five young cornerbacks with some experience.
Yet, OSU plans to add two cornerbacks on signing day.
Jonovan Griffin of McKinney (Texas) Boyd and Miketavius Jones of Galena Park (Texas) North Shore are cornerback prospects. Jones could help immediately, and Griffin has great long-term potential.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 71664Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31265Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 29267Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 20588Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6679Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6629Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6010Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond