OSU football: Five sisters among the participants at Cowboys' Football 101 for Women clinic
At the seventh annual Football 101 for Women clinic, women got a look inside the program, including a tour of the facilities and on-field drills.
STILLWATER — Five sisters — Mickey Haddican, Missey Cox, Marcey Fox, Mindy Stewart and Mandy Horneber — stood near the 20-yard line on the field at Boone Pickens Stadium wearing identical orange Oklahoma State jersey T-shirts and firing footballs back and forth.
It was a simple passing drill, but one the Cowboy quarterbacks do to help them warm up at the start of each practice. And on this day, OSU offensive coordinator Todd Monken was even demonstrating proper technique to get that perfect spiral.
Those sisters, who all attended OSU, were five of the more than 300 participants in Friday's seventh annual Football 101 for Women clinic, a special ladies-only look inside the Cowboy football program.
“All of these young ladies that are here, they bleed orange,” said OSU Director of Football Operations Mack Butler, who organized the event. “We're proud in Cowboy country and at Oklahoma State with what we have. We want to share that with everybody that has ever worn the orange or has gone to school here. I think it's a great way to give back.
“These ladies are so attentive, they're fun, they want to be here and they're excited. That's contagious.”
The day's activities featured on-field drills, lunch at the training table and a tour of OSU's facilities. A series of panelists included a group of current players, headlined by wide receiver Tracy Moore, four wives of assistant coaches like Terri Monken and David Warden, the Big 12's assistant coordinator of officials. The women also got a small-group session with one of the OSU assistant coaches.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14804OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10332Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6926Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6240Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 6240Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5695Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4108Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?