OSU football: Mike Gundy's contract includes front-loaded first year
Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy's new eight-year, $30.3 million contract includes a big boost at the beginning.
Details of Gundy's deal released Wednesday to The Associated Press after an open records request show Gundy will earn $3.275 million in the upcoming season. That's a jump of more than $1 million over the $2.1 million Gundy was due last year under his old contract.
His salary will go back down to $2.85 million in 2013 before climbing over the rest of the term of the extension, maxing out at $3.55 million in 2019. Oklahoma State will also contribute another $600,000 per year to a retirement account for Gundy.If Gundy were to leave his alma mater for some reason before the contract runs out at the end of 2019, he would be entitled to a fraction of the $4.8 million in retirement funds based on how long he stayed. Gundy led the Cowboys to their first Big 12 championship and BCS bowl victory last season, bringing him additional performance-based incentives. The extension agreed to in January includes a $53,125 bonus for the Cowboys' participation in the Fiesta Bowl, which they won against Stanford to finish the season at 12-1 and ranked third in The Associated Press poll, and updates the bonus structure that called for a $100,000 payment for winning the Big 12 title and a month's salary for participation in any bowl.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 37007Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32519Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 27986Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 8311Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6200OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3643College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3643Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?