OSU football notebook: Cowboys showed character
Receivers Justin Blackmon, Tracy Moore should play Saturday
The Cowboys went to Kansas State, where they hadn't won a football game since 1988, minus the nation's top receiver (Justin Blackmon) and two other contributing wideouts (Tracy Moore and Hubert Anyiam) from their spread offense.
Videoview all videos
Nov 1Did the absence of Justin Blackmon help Brandon Weeden...
Nov 1Who could be another deep threat on OSU's offense?
Photoview all 28 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Coming off their first loss of the season, the scenario might have appeared bleak.
"I like to think that we're at a point in our program where we're able to win some games if everything doesn't work in our favor," said OSU coach Mike Gundy. "I don't know that it's always been that way at Oklahoma State."
In the game, the Cowboys committed two early turnovers and were flagged 10 times for 100 yards in penalties.
"We had every opportunity to go up and not play well and come home and blame it on Justin and certain other guys that didn't take care of their business," Gundy said. "But Orie Lemon and Johnny (Thomas) and Ugo (Chinasa) and Kendall (Hunter) and our offensive line, who are kind of quiet leaders, those guys just kind of rallied and said, 'This is not what we stand for.'
"I'm very proud of them for that. It needs to continue on."
GUNDY ON LIST
Gundy is among seven on the watch list for the 2010 Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award.
The only Big 12 coach on the list, Gundy is joined by Auburn's Gene Chizik, Boise State's Chris Petersen, Michigan State's Mark Dantonio, Oregon's Chip Kelly, Arizona's Mike Stoops and Iowa's Kirk Ferentz as those being followed for the Dodd Trophy.
The recipient of the award will be announced at halftime of the Chick-fil-A Bowl on Dec. 31.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 100558Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15302OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13338Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8709Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8075Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8036How to help tornado victims
- 7986Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort