OSU football notebook: Mike Gundy is all for his defense
Cowboys coach Mike Gundy carries a history in offense, as a former Oklahoma State quarterback and play caller.
But as a head coach, he's all about the defense. So when defense dominated scrimmaging during Tuesday's practice, bringing both energy and attitude, Gundy was pleased.
Videoview all videos
Aug 9Oklahoma State put on full pads for the first time...
Jul 28Nike has created a whole new look for the OSU Cowboys and...
Photoview all 21 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
End Jamie Blatnick and linebacker James Thomas picked off screen passes for big plays. Linebacker Shaun Lewis and cornerback Devin Hedgepeth, among others, also made plays.
“I want the defense to win every day,” Gundy said. “I'm convinced that we have to continue to recruit more speed, more athleticism on defense, and find ways to get big defensive tackles in here as we develop this program.
“I hope the defense dominates every day. I'm obviously comfortable with the experience we have on offense; we'll move the ball. I spend most of my time in practice with the defense anyway, and I enjoy that part of it.”
LEADER OF THE PACK
Sophomore backup quarterback Clint Chelf said the leadership of senior starter Brandon Weeden permeates the entire OSU program.
“Everyone looks to him no matter what,” Chelf said. “Even if he wasn't the quarterback, everyone would still look to him. He carries himself in such a manner. He's so cool and calm. He's just a natural leader.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6211Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5407Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4993Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4408OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3817Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law