OSU football notebook: Nigel Nicholas will make easy transition
The move back to defensive end, he says, is like riding a bike.
Even with Saturday's announcement that redshirt freshman defensive tackle Mike Mustafa had left Oklahoma State for “personal reasons,” the Cowboys still have the most quality depth at the position in years with the return of Anthony Rogers, Christian Littlehead, Davidell Collins and James Castleman and the arrival of junior college transfer Calvin Barnett.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 34 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
That allowed OSU to move Nigel Nicholas, who last season started every game at defensive tackle, back to his natural position of end.
How did Nicholas react to the news this spring that he was going back outside?
“Pure grins,” Nicholas said. “I was smiling. It felt good to hear that I was actually going back out there, because I was always hoping they'd let me back out there. And when they finally did, it felt good.
“It's like riding a bike, once you play D-end, you're going to know how to play.”
Nicholas tallied 35 tackles, including 10 for loss, and two sacks last season while playing undersized for the position at 6-3 and 285 pounds.
He dropped his weight to 269 this offseason, but not because of the position switch.
“I didn't really have to, but I wanted to, because Coach (Bill) Young said all my weight was in my butt,” Nicholas said with a laugh. “I just wanted to lose a little weight, just for personal (reasons).”
ESPN CATCHES RANDLE OFF-GUARD WITH REQUEST TO DANCE
During running back Joseph Randle's live interview on ESPN's SportsCenter just more than a week ago, he was asked to analyze New York Giants receiver Victor Cruz's touchdown dance — the salsa — and give the audience his own rendition.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 64379Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31540Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 30680Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 16244Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 7370Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6239Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4310Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman