OSU football notebook: Tulane contacts Mike Gundy about Todd Monken
Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said Tuesday that Tulane has contacted him about offensive coordinator Todd Monken in regards to the school's head coaching vacancy.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 34 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“They have contacted me,” Gundy said. “There's not really anything to say other than that. But they've contacted us, which has become pretty routine this time of year for me, so I'm getting good at it.”
Gundy's previous two offensive coordinators have moved on to become head coaches. Larry Fedora was hired by Southern Mississippi in 2007 and Dana Holgorsen went to West Virginia in 2010.
“I worry about losing every guy on my staff, to be honest with you,” Gundy said. “We do everything we can to keep them. Our administration has been tremendous in that area. But everybody has to do what's best for their family.”
A report from the New Orleans Times-Picayune surfaced late Monday night that two sources said Monken and former Miami of Ohio coach Michael Haywood are “two candidates getting much consideration” for the Tulane job after Rich Rodriguez was hired at Arizona. Bob Toledo resigned as Tulane's coach last month, and co-offensive coordinator Mark Hutson has been seriving as interim coach.
Monken, who returned to OSU this season after serving as the passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach under Les Miles from 2002-04, has never been a head coach but has had two previous coaching stints in Louisiana. He was the passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach for LSU from 2005-06 and was the running backs coach, wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator at Louisiana Tech from 2000-01.
“Everything needs to take place at a later time,” Gundy said of where the process goes from here. “But really, what happens now, all this communication goes on between people other than the people involved. It's people behind the scenes that do all that.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13258OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7144Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7131Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6694Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6025Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5256Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers