STILLWATER — Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said Tuesday that wide receiver Michael Harrison, who has been suspended for the 2012 season by the NCAA, has left the Cowboy football program.
The Oklahoman learned last month that Harrison would not play in 2012. Harrison notified Gundy last week that he had decided to leave the program.
“The NCAA suspended him,” Gundy said. “I never suspended him, and then he chose to not play football. He made that choice himself. My recommendation to him was to finish school, because that's what you have to do. You can't go anywhere at this particular time…and then if he chooses to (leave), that's his call.
“I don't know what he wants to do. I just know that he's decided he does not want to play football anymore.”
Harrison is still enrolled at OSU and using the athletic department's academic services. Gundy said OSU would grant Harrison a release from the school if he wanted to transfer at the end of the semester. But to the best of Gundy's knowledge, Harrison has not asked for one.
“What his future is, he would only be able to tell,” Gundy said. “Because he has not gotten back to me on any of that.”
Harrison, a candidate to start at outside receiver in 2012 before the suspension, caught 20 passes for 255 yards and three touchdowns as a sophomore last season.
OSU's top returners at wide receiver are seniors Tracy Moore and Isaiah Anderson and sophomore Josh Stewart. The Cowboys also signed six receivers in their 2012 recruiting class, along with pass-catching junior college tight end Blake Jackson.