OSU football to play at Iowa State on a Friday night
STILLWATER — Clearly ESPN views Oklahoma State as a football team it would like to feature in 2011.
The Cowboys game at Iowa State has been moved to Friday, Nov. 18, the Big 12 conference announced on Tuesday. The game will kickoff at 8 p.m. and be televised on ESPN2.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 19 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“We're excited that our football program has elevated to the point that Oklahoma State is now appearing regularly in prime-time windows with great national exposure,” head coach Mike Gundy said in a release.
The move is an ideal one for the Pokes as they get to play on national television — earning the money and exposure that comes with national TV appearances — without inconveniencing Cowboy fans by moving a Saturday home game.
Gundy said earlier this spring that the Cowboys had been approached to move “a lot of games” but he prefers to keep most games on Saturdays to maintain the tradition of “College Football Saturdays.”
Nonetheless, the opportunity to make money and gain national exposure continues to be difficult to turn down.
“We can make a lot of money doing that,” Gundy said of moving games into national television time slots on non-Saturdays. “If you play on TV eight or ten times a year, you can make 2 and a half, 3 million dollars, that's just money off the top. It's beneficial for us, you can help the (athletic) department out.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims