OSU has history of excellent return men
Freshman Justin Gilbert might be next in line
The Cowboys have a long history of producing premier return men.
Even over the past decade, they've featured Gabe Lindsay, Chris Massey, Darrent Williams, Grant Jones, Perrish Cox and Dez Bryant as momentum-shifting threats on punt or kickoff returns.
Videoview all videos
Sep 23What have we learned during the Cowboys 3-0 start?
Photoview all 45 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
"Hopefully we can find another one," said OSU special teams coach Joe DeForest.
In truth, DeForest feels he's found the next great one: Justin Gilbert. The true freshman has been dynamic in practice, but has yet to break his first big one on Saturdays.
"We feel Gilbert can do it," DeForest said. "He's just got to learn."
The Cowboys have picked their spots with Gilbert, also using Josh Cooper on punt returns and Kendall Hunter, Johnny Thomas and Joseph Randle on kickoffs.
Cooper actually leads OSU with a 23.7 average on punt returns, highlighted by a 66-yard touchdown romp against Troy. Because of his sure hands, Cooper is a safe option, too.
"You always like to be on the field," said Cooper, "but we have a lot of guys who can make plays."
Gilbert, a former Texas high school sprint champion, is the one guy who can break open a game at any moment.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14121OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 13945Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8893Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6932Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5880Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5330Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5280Student shot dead during botched home invasion