OSU is No. 3 in BCS, will play in Fiesta Bowl
STILLWATER — The best season in Oklahoma State football history will not end with a chance to play for the national title, but a spot in the Fiesta Bowl against Stanford on Jan. 2 in Glendale, Ariz.
Videoview all videos
Dec 4Mike Gundy and OSU players react to the latest BCS poll.
Dec 4Jenni Carlson and Gina Mizell explain how OSU dominated...
Photoview all 133 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
It’s the first BCS bowl berth for the No. 3 Cowboys (11-1, 8-1 Big 12), who captured their first outright conference title Saturday night with a dominating 44-10 victory over then-No. 10 Oklahoma at Boone Pickens Stadium.
But the Cowboys were close to earning a spot in the big game, finishing .009 points behind No. 2 Alabama in the final BCS standings released Sunday night. The Crimson Tide will take on unanimous No. 1 LSU for the second time this season on Jan. 9 in New Orleans.
OSU finished second in the final computer rankings but third behind Alabama in both the USA Today coaches’ and Harris polls. Saturday night’s convincing victory over the Sooners was enough to move the Cowboys up from No. 5 to No. 3 in both polls, but they ultimately did not gain enough votes to overtake the Crimson Tide.
Still, earning the automatic bid to the Fiesta Bowl as the Big 12 champions is another step in the elevation of the OSU program. The Cowboys started 10-0 this season and climbed as high as No. 2 in the BCS standings before a double-overtime loss at Iowa State on Nov. 18 ultimately ended the Cowboys' national title hopes.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims