OSU takes down No. 1 Kansas, 85-77
STILLWATER — James Anderson showed up Saturday with an achy back, creating a stir that he’d be questionable to play against No. 1 Kansas.
Nonsense, of course, for a guy nicknamed “Big Game” James.
“I was going to play regardless,” Anderson said. “I could have been with a broken leg, I was going to drag it all the way down the court.” That wasn’t necessary, although despite the bad back, on the big stage, Big Game James saddled up the Cowboys for an 85-77 upset stunning for its seeming ease.
Anderson posted game-highs of 27 points, eight rebounds and two blocked shots, adding three assists and two steals to all but cinch Oklahoma State’s place in the NCAA Tournament. But Anderson had help, too, plenty of help, with the Cowboys shooting 60.4 percent from the floor as a team and four players finishing in double figures scoring, with Matt Pilgrim adding 18, Obi Muonelo 17 and Keiton Page 12.
Kansas led only briefly in the first half and OSU owned as much as a 19-point advantage – the largest on the Jayhawks all season.
The Cowboys snapped KU’s 13-game winning streak and handed the Jayhawks their first Big 12 defeat.
News Photo Galleriesview all
COLLEGE BASKETBALL VIDEOS
- 81018Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30448Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 30137Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 25654Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8097Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7386Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7344Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday