OSU-Texas isn't just about this season, it's about the future
OSU doesn't need to beat the Longhorns to win the Big 12 South. But with a strong showing against Texas and OU, Oklahoma State could walk tall in the new 10-team Big 12.
Videoview all videos
Nov 12The Oklahoman's Jenni Carlson and Brandon Chatmon preview...
Nov 9The Oklahoman's Brandon Chatmon and Jenni Carlson discuss...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
I've been writing for years that for the Big 12 to prosper, someone needed to challenge the Sooners and Longhorns. That someone needed to be Nebraska, and now that the Cornhuskers â€” titleless since the 1900s â€” are poised to do just that, off they're headed for the Big Ten.
Time for Missouri, we said. Where are you, A&M?
But into the void suddenly steps OSU. If the Cowboys win the Big 12, or at least knock off the OU/UT cartel, the league has a new look. It won't be King Kong, Godzilla and eight maids a milking.
â€œIt'd be huge, for recruiting and everything that goes into it,â€ said OSU quarterback Brandon Weeden. â€œObviously, Texas and Oklahoma have been staples. But we've liked our chances all along.â€
That's good solid optimism. That's how teams do stuff their predecessors never did. Belief.
But Holder, an athlete, coach or administrator at OSU since the 1960s, knows his history. He knows what an achievement it would be to win the South, to win the league, to sweep OU and Texas.
â€œI put all kinds of scenarios in my mind on how many games we can win,â€ Holder said. â€œBut games are a lot easier to win in the summertime.â€
Not so fast on that thinking. Not this transformational season, when Texas is gasping and OU looks vulnerable and Gundy's guys seem poised to proclaim their piece of the new-look Big 12.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister