OSU's Jamie Blatnick has career defensive performance
STILLWATER — Oklahoma State defensive end Jamie Blatnick had quite the individual performance Saturday.
Blatnick made four tackles, recovered a fumble and recorded his first career interception in the Cowboys' 70-28 rout of Kansas.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 62 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
He spoke after the game about the defense's performance, his interception — he tipped the ball to himself — and the consequences of not forcing five turnovers in practice.
How do you think the defense performed as a whole?
“We caused a lot of turnovers. We were getting after the quarterback and breaking up passes. Toward the end there, we put some of the younger guys in and (Kansas) got some yards and big plays. ... That hurts, but at the same time those guys need the reps and they deserve them.”
Can you talk about your interception?
“They had thrown that ball earlier in the game. The tackles cut down, so I kind of got a key on it. I saw them cut, and I was like ‘OK, the ball's coming.' So I put my hands up and got a hold of it. I was smelling end zone but I couldn't quite get there.”
Defensive coordinator Bill Young said he posts the number of takeaways you get each day in practice on meeting room doors. Is that motivation for you guys?
“If we don't get five turnovers in practice we have to run. But that's our goal — we want at least five a game. Most of the time we get it (in practice), but sometimes we don't, and we get to run.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 35743Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 30080Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 9255Tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 7252Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6705OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3930Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3921OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures