Oklahoma State football notebook: Triplet QBs bucking history
The trio of Clint Chelf, Wes Lunt and J.W. Walsh have guided Cowboys to Big 12 wins.
OSU has three quarterbacks with Big 12 victories this season.
And while such success isn't unheard of, it's pretty heady stuff, and more than notable in Cowboys history.
Videoview all videos
Nov 14OSU's Josh Stewart and OU's Blake Bell battle it out for...
Nov 13A new face to the OSU receiving corps, Austin Hays, is...
Nov 13Will Wes Lunt, J.W. Walsh or Clint Chelf take the first...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
As recently as 2008, Cincinnati made the Orange Bowl despite repeated quarterback changes. Now the Cowboys are aiming for a premium postseason, whether it's Clint Chelf, Wes Lunt or J.W. Walsh behind center.
The 2008 Bearcats and the 2012 Cowboys aside, playing as many as three quarterbacks usually is a recipe for disaster.
The 1999 Cowboys used three quarterbacks. After Tony Lindsey suffered a knee injury, the Cowboys used both B.J. Tiger and Ben Bowling at quarterback, until Lindsey's hurried return, but Tiger made all five starts, with Bowling in relief, when Lindsey was out.
In 1993, OSU used three starting quarterbacks: Gary Porter, Tone' Jones and Andy Loveland, combining to go 3-8.
More recently, in 2005, Donovan Woods started the first two games, victories over Montana State and Florida Atlantic, then was moved to defense to make way for Bobby Reid. Reid quarterbacked a win over Arkansas State and losses to Colorado and Missouri, before being injured against the Tigers. That brought on Al Pena, who went 0-4 as a starter, before Reid returned to engineer an upset of Texas Tech before losses to Baylor and OU. That trio: Woods 2-0, Reid 2-4 and Pena 0-3.
MISSISSIPPI STATE TICKETS AVAILABLE
Oklahoma State football season ticket holders and POSSE members can now purchase tickets for the Cowboys' Aug. 31 contest against Mississippi State at Reliant Stadium in Houston.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17917Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 11872Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10569OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10552Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 10275Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9958Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9874Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss