Oklahoma is anticipating its 75th consecutive sellout at Gaylord Family — Oklahoma Memorial Stadium on Saturday, when Tulsa comes to Norman for the 2011 opener.
“It's really pretty amazing,” Sooners coach Bob Stoops said. “We have a great and loyal fan base. We appreciate them and thank them for being here.”
Facts about the streak:
* It began in 1999, with Stoops' arrival at OU. The Sooners started it with a 49-0 rout of Indiana State on Sept. 11, 1999.
* Including that game, OU is 72-2 at home during the streak. That includes 36 consecutive victories at Owen Field, going back to a season-opening loss to TCU in 2005.
* A total of 6,026,578 fans have attended the 74 games during the streak, an average of 81,444 a game.
* The highest-attended game during the streak was Nov. 22, 2008, when the Sooners obliterated Texas Tech, 65-21. There were 85,646 fans in attendance.
* During the streak, the stadium's capacity has grown from 72,726 to 82,112 — an increase of 9,386 seats. Related, average attendance in the streak has gone from 74,664 a game to 84,738 in 2010.