OU anticipates Saturday's opener against Tulsa will be 75th straight sellout
Oklahoma is anticipating its 75th consecutive sellout at Gaylord Family — Oklahoma Memorial Stadium on Saturday, when Tulsa comes to Norman for the 2011 opener.
Videoview all videos
Aug 30In Part Three, the Sooners head man discusses how his...
Aug 30In Part Two, OU's coach weighs the advantages of playing...
Aug 30In Part One of his press conference, OU's head coach...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“It's really pretty amazing,” Sooners coach Bob Stoops said. “We have a great and loyal fan base. We appreciate them and thank them for being here.”
Facts about the streak:
* It began in 1999, with Stoops' arrival at OU. The Sooners started it with a 49-0 rout of Indiana State on Sept. 11, 1999.
* Including that game, OU is 72-2 at home during the streak. That includes 36 consecutive victories at Owen Field, going back to a season-opening loss to TCU in 2005.
* A total of 6,026,578 fans have attended the 74 games during the streak, an average of 81,444 a game.
* The highest-attended game during the streak was Nov. 22, 2008, when the Sooners obliterated Texas Tech, 65-21. There were 85,646 fans in attendance.
* During the streak, the stadium's capacity has grown from 72,726 to 82,112 — an increase of 9,386 seats. Related, average attendance in the streak has gone from 74,664 a game to 84,738 in 2010.