OU basketball: Steven Pledger scores 30 points as Sooners beat No. 22 Kansas State
The Sooners got their first win in the Lon Kruger era, giving the coach a victory in his return to his alma mater Saturday.
One key was Pledger finally rediscovered his stroke. He was shooting 36 percent in Big 12 play but hit 11-of-17 shots against the Wildcats, including four 3-pointers.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
It was a rare conference road win for a program that was 1-19 on the road in Big 12 play the past three seasons, the exception being an overtime win last year at Iowa State.
After watching a 10-point lead evaporate into a 48-45 deficit when their top three scorers were in foul trouble, the Sooners got timely defensive stops, hit some big shots and were 6-for-6 at the line the final 67 seconds.
“This is very big for our confidence,” Pledger said. “It lets us know we can finish these type of games, that we can play with anybody, that we can beat anybody. It's just a matter of us executing in late-game situations.”
Even though Kruger downplayed the win at his alma mater, Grooms said players were aware of what was at stake.
“He might not say it but we knew this meant a lot to him,” Grooms said. “He's modest. But we know he really wanted this win.”
Pledger said the obvious tipoff is Kruger's occasional Freudian slips since he took the OU job in April.
“Sometimes when we're watching film he doesn't say Big 12 he says Big Eight,” Pledger said. “This is his stomping grounds. This is where he used to rock out on the court. It was great to get the win for him.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12287Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11384Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6956Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6508Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4900Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4357OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3734Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law