H: ° L: °,
Oklahoma women's basketball: Whitney Hand tears ACL in Sooners' win over North Texas
Whitney Hand left for an MRI at halftime of the Sooners' gritty 71-68 win over North Texas.
NORMAN — Every fan in attendance rose to applaud Whitney Hand as she left the Lloyd Noble Center court for what will probably become the final time of her Oklahoma career.
Photoview all 19 photos
Hand wept in pain while she was helped off the court; she left the arena for an MRI at halftime of the Sooners’ gritty 71-68 win over North Texas.
After the game, an OU spokesman confirmed that Hand had torn her anterior cruciate ligament.
“I’ve never met a kid who loves to compete and play this game more than Whitney,” OU coach Sherri Coale said. “The fact that she is denied that, and has to endure again, is really hard for all of us to accept and understand.”
Hand has struggled with knee injuries before; she completed a 401-day rehabilitation after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in her right knee early in the 2009-10 season.
Senior Joanna McFarland recorded a double-double Thursday, with her 12 points and 11 rebounds; junior Nicole Griffin led all Sooner scorers with 15 points.
Oklahoma trailed North Texas 30-27 at halftime.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11753Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10515Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9760Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9740Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6752Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4200Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4065Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates