OU coach Bob Stoops says he played the percentages against Baylor
OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL — Oklahoma's coach says he was ‘playing to win' by calling a timeout late in a loss to the Bears.
NORMAN — Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said he was playing the percentages when asked at his weekly press luncheon about calling timeout with 46 seconds left on Saturday at Baylor.
Videoview all videos
Nov 22In the conclusion of his presser, OU's head man reveals...
Nov 22After a shocking and crippling loss at Baylor on Saturday...
Nov 22In Part Two of his presser, the Sooners coach explains...
Nov 22In Part One of his Tuesday presser, OU's head coach looks...
Photoview all 86 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
After the Bears ran the ball up the middle on first down for four yards, content to run out the clock and head to overtime, Stoops' plan was to get a defensive stop, force Baylor to punt and the Sooners would drive for a game-winning field goal.
“I was playing to win,” Stoops said. “They were on their own 20. We have the wind, they're against it. To me, that's a 15-yard swing. Michael (Hunnicutt) made a 53-yarder with the wind at Kansas State, a similar type wind.
“We just stopped them two straight series. They didn't have any timeouts. I felt if we could get a stop we could get field position and have a chance for a field goal. Landry (Jones) had been hot. I felt even if they were able to get a first down there wouldn't be enough time.”
After the timeout, the Bears changed strategies.
Quarterback Robert Griffin dropped back to pass, then scrambled for 22 yards.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M