OU coach Bob Stoops says he played the percentages against Baylor
OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL — Oklahoma's coach says he was ‘playing to win' by calling a timeout late in a loss to the Bears.
NORMAN — Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said he was playing the percentages when asked at his weekly press luncheon about calling timeout with 46 seconds left on Saturday at Baylor.
Videoview all videos
Nov 22In the conclusion of his presser, OU's head man reveals...
Nov 22After a shocking and crippling loss at Baylor on Saturday...
Nov 22In Part Two of his presser, the Sooners coach explains...
Nov 22In Part One of his Tuesday presser, OU's head coach looks...
Photoview all 86 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
After the Bears ran the ball up the middle on first down for four yards, content to run out the clock and head to overtime, Stoops' plan was to get a defensive stop, force Baylor to punt and the Sooners would drive for a game-winning field goal.
“I was playing to win,” Stoops said. “They were on their own 20. We have the wind, they're against it. To me, that's a 15-yard swing. Michael (Hunnicutt) made a 53-yarder with the wind at Kansas State, a similar type wind.
“We just stopped them two straight series. They didn't have any timeouts. I felt if we could get a stop we could get field position and have a chance for a field goal. Landry (Jones) had been hot. I felt even if they were able to get a first down there wouldn't be enough time.”
After the timeout, the Bears changed strategies.
Quarterback Robert Griffin dropped back to pass, then scrambled for 22 yards.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad