OU commit D.J. Ward enrolls at Southmoore
D.J. Ward, the No. 1 player in the state for the 2013 class and an OU commitment, is moving again.
Whether he'll be eligible to play at his new school, though, remains in the air.
Videoview all videos
Aug 28The longtime rivals meet up for the first time this...
Photoview all photos
Ward left Douglass and enrolled in Southmoore on Thursday morning.
SaberCats coach Jeff Brickman said he didn't know anything about the move until he received an email from the school counselor Thursday morning.
“They said there was a new student and his mother enrolling and that he played football and they wanted to meet me,” Brickman said.
Ward did not practice with Southmoore on Thursday in their final walk-through before the season opener against Carl Albert on Friday.
Gaining eligibility at Southmoore could be an issue, though, because Ward had to file a hardship waiver with the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association in order to play at Douglass.
The waiver was needed when the Ward family moved from Lawton to the Southmoore district while waiting for a house in the Douglass district.
Demetrius Ward Sr., D.J.'s father, remains an ROTC instructor at Douglass.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10625Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9988Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9782Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6778Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4215Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4087Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates