OU concerned with defense, Texas concerned with offense heading into Red River game
In Mike Baldwin's weekly film study, he writes that OU's defense needs to stop giving up big plays.
Videoview all videos
Sep 26OU gets a win in its first road game of the season,...
Sep 26Berry Tramel and Jake Trotter explore the Sooners' 31-29...
Photoview all 34 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
How do the Longhorns fare in the Cotton Bowl coming off a loss? The sample size is small. Texas has entered the OU game coming off a loss only four times the past 50 years. Three times the Longhorns have defeated the Sooners. The most recent example, three years ago, they lost back-to-back. Year, Loss week before OU Loss, Result vs. OU 2007, Lost to K-State 41-21, Lost to OU 28-21 1999, Lost to K-State 35-17, Defeated OU 38-28 1997, Lost to OSU 42-16, Defeated OU 27-24 1994, Lost to Colorado 34-31, Defeated OU 17-10
The ground game has issues. DeMarco Murray was held to three yards or less on 20 of 28 carries ... Fullback Trey Millard's primary role has been blocking but he showed why he eventually will play tight end. Millard's 5-yard TD reception was a game-clincher ... Freshman wide receivers Kenny Stills and Trey Franks had solid games. Stills' sideline toe-tap was a veteran move. Stills also showed tremendous body control on a 29-yard catch and had a 25-yard reception wiped out by a penalty ... Quarterback Landry Jones completed 13 consecutive passes in the first half. He also stepped up in the pocket to make a couple of plays. If the Sooners don't drop any passes, Jones would have finished 40-of-51 for more than 400 yards ... In the offensive line rotation at guard, Gabe Ikard and Brian Lepak are better pass blockers, Tyler Evans and Stephen Good better run blockers.
Defensive ends Pryce Macon and Ronnell Lewis were the best pass rushers, which is why Frank Alexander, still hampered by a sprained ankle, didn't play much the second half. Alexander didn't record a tackle ... Middle linebacker Tom Wort delivers punishing hits but too often is out of position, usually when he over pursues a play ... Tony Jefferson has Roy Williams-like potential but for the first time all season was burned for a couple of big plays when he bit on play-action fakes ... Senior safety Quinton Carter arguably was OU's most consistent defender the first three games but was burned for two big plays and missed a couple of tackles ... True freshman cornerback Aaron Colvin, forced to play the second half for Jamell Fleming (sprained ankle) was picked on a couple of times. Colvin was flagged for two penalties but provided solid coverage, a solid debut.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17205Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9411Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9383Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6982Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6824Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6294Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit