OU football: Bob Stoops is looking for redemption of OU's pride
Sooner defense works toward eliminating big plays it surrendered last season.
Videoview all videos
Aug 6Senior wide receiver is turning down interview requests,...
Aug 4The Sooners freshman receiver took a long path to Norman,...
Aug 4The Sooners all-time leading passer returns to Norman for...
Aug 4Watch the entire press conference, as the Sooners head...
Photoview all 46 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“We will have that same energy, passion and hopefully we do things correctly,” Mike Stoops said. “These guys, they want to do well. We're trying to instill in them and they've responded.”
While the defense lost Travis Lewis, who is now with the Detroit Lions, it kept Aaron Colvin. Colvin and Lewis ended the season tied for 14th in the Big 12 with 84 total tackles. And though Jamell Fleming is also gone, Tony Jefferson and Javon Harris, who combined for seven interceptions last season, are back.
As for the defenders who gave up an 87-yard play to Baylor last November, they don't feel good about what happened either. Mike Stoops used the word “redemption” for a defense that ended its season ranked 55th in yards per game.
“We're tired of hearing about what happened a year ago,” Mike Stoops said. “We understand what happened. That's gone forever, and I'll be surprised if they don't come back with a vengeance in those games and take it personally. I hope they do.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36331Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15449Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9864Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9824Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9353Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7992Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7895Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister