OU football: How Landry Jones bounces back after a loss
LANDRY JONES — Like most things involving the Oklahoma Sooners' senior quarterback, his ability to bounce back after a loss was strongest with Ryan Broyles.
NORMAN — Landry Jones' on-field production was clearly diminished after Ryan Broyles' stellar career ended prematurely with four 2011 games remaining.
Videoview all videos
Oct 2The Oklahoman's Stephanie Kuzydym and Jenni Carlson talk...
Oct 2The Oklahoman's Jenni Carlson and Jason Kersey talk about...
Oct 2The Sooners' senior quarterback will look to get back on...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But Jones' pre- and post-Broyles numbers are even more striking in games following losses.
As Sooners preparing for Saturday's game at Texas Tech — a place no OU team has left a winner since 2003 — Jones is fully aware that all eyes will be fixated on him while Oklahoma tries to bounce back from its Sept. 22 home loss to Kansas State.
“I think ... as a quarterback and as a leader on the offense, people are kind of looking at you to see how you're going to respond to a loss,” Jones said.
Because Jones has started and/or taken significant snaps since 2009, his redshirt freshman year, we have three seasons of empirical evidence to examine the senior quarterback's performances in games following losses.
When Jones has started — or come off the bench when Sam Bradford was injured, as he did in two 2009 losses — and then started the next game, the Sooners are a perfect 9-0.
Individually, Jones' post-loss performances — in total — actually represent a good sample of his career numbers.
In nine career starts after OU losses, here's Jones' average stat line:
* 24 of 37 (64.8 completion percentage) for 316 yards with 2.7 touchdowns and 0.9 interceptions.
Here's his career per-game averages:
* 26 of 41 (63.4 completion percentage) for 313 yards, 2.3 touchdowns and 1 interception.
But those numbers don't tell the whole story; Jones' numbers in games following losses were much better before Broyles' season-ending ACL tear last year.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M