OU football: Justin Brown reportedly transferring to Oklahoma
Videoview all videos
Aug 4Josh Heupel talks about the upcoming season.
Aug 4The Sooners freshman receiver took a long path to Norman,...
Aug 4Mike Stoops talks about being a sooner again and what to...
Aug 4Watch the entire press conference, as the Sooners head...
Photoview all 50 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“He's always been a punt returner from the first day he walked on the field for them,” Kosanovich said. “He can catch the ball. He doesn't miss.”
Brown is the ninth Nittany Lion to leave the program since the NCAA handed down its sanctions, and the second to join a Big 12 school; kicker Anthony Fera announced his transfer to Texas last week.
At 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, Brown becomes OU's biggest wide receiver; junior-college transfer Lacoltan Bester is also 6-3 and weighs a little less.
Brown might also help take pressure off junior Kenny Stills by giving quarterback Landry Jones another target with some experience; Stills has been OU's only active receiver or tight end with a career Division I reception.
Even with Brown's addition, though, the Sooners will be forced to rely on lots of young talent at receiver.
Veteran wideouts Jaz Reynolds and Trey Franks were reinstated Wednesday from their May suspensions, but sophomore Kameel Jackson's reinstatement was ruled out Saturday by coach Bob Stoops.
Stoops said earlier this week that Reynolds and Franks would still miss a “considerable” amount of games, and are only reinstated for practices.
“When you only have one guy in Kenny Stills that's in a position to play here in the first part of the season, those guys have to step up,” Stoops said at Saturday's media day of the young wideouts.
“I'm encouraged in the first couple of days, the young freshman receivers look like a good and talented group and are really doing well.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12576OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8415Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6843Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6546Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5838Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4955Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4777Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers