OU football: Landry Jones and new receivers will develop chemistry with time
Oklahoma quarterback will have a lot of talented receivers, though most have not caught a pass in a Sooner uniform
Videoview all videos
Jul 23Landry Jones may be back for his senior season, but after...
Jul 23Berry Tramel talks with OU head coach Bob Stoops about...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“Everyone's excited about him. I had a chance to go against him a couple of times. He got me and I got him. I respect his game.”
But will the fate of the Sooners receiving yardage can't be left in the hands of one freshman trying to replace one senior, who happened to be one of the best in program's history?
Right now, OU's quarterback is counting on all the new receivers but, most certainly, an old one.
“Kenny Stills,” Jones said of the only returning receiver from last year. “He's not a new face but I'm excited about him coming back. Sterling Shepard. Durron Neal. Those guys are doing a great job for us right now.”
As for Metoyer and junior college transfer Courtney Gardner?
“Both good players,” Jones said. “Lot of big size, lot of athletic ability, lot of speed. Excited about those two guys coming in.”
Gardner has not qualified academically for OU yet. Juco transfer Lacoltan Bester was cleared last week.
So what will Jones do without Broyles?
He'll build two things with his new group of wide receivers that he's built time-and-time again — with his wife, with his coach, with Broyles.
“It might take a little time for Landry and them to get that connection, that chemistry,” Habern said. “But Landry's a guy that understands our offense, so he'll be able to push those young guys along.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort