OU football: Neck injury will sideline center Ben Habern for spring practice
Habern joins running back Dominique Whaley as nonparticipants for spring ball. Status on wide receiver Jaz Reynolds remains uncertain.
NORMAN — Oklahoma center Ben Habern dealt with an injury-filled junior season in 2011, and it has spilled over into the early part of 2012.
Habern had neck surgery last week, as first reported Monday evening by SoonerScoop.com. The school's Rivals website said the issue is not considered career-threatening, but Habern, a captain last season, will miss the spring.
Videoview all videos
Jan 30Jenni Carlson and Gina Mizell discuss the football...
Jan 30Jenni Carlson and Travis Haney talk about who may or may...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
A fractured forearm cost him a large chunk of 2011, but guard Gabe Ikard moved over to fill in ably for Habern. He will likely do the same throughout the spring, giving emerging guard Adam Shead a chance to grow on the left side of the line.
Habern joins at least one other Sooner who has been ruled out for the spring. Running back Dominique Whaley, who fractured his ankle in October, will not be ready by March. He is progressing, though, and the staff is hopeful he will return for preseason camp in August.
It's up in the air whether receiver Jaz Reynolds, who suffered a late-season kidney injury, will make it back for the spring.
The Sooners will begin spring practice March 5 and end with the annual Red and White Game on April 14. Tickets for the scrimmage will go on sale Wednesday. They will be $5 apiece until April 10, when they will increase to $10 each.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad