OU football notebook: Ronnell Lewis, Daniel Noble back for spring ball
Coach Bob Stoops said Wednesday after his Signing Day press conference that he expects both defensive end Ronnell Lewis and defensive tackle Daniel Noble back for spring practice.
Videoview all videos
Feb 2The Oklahoma head coach talks about his signing class for...
Feb 2The Oklahoman's Jenni Carlson and Jake Trotter talk about...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Stoops said the team “is taking it easy” with them, but both are “progressing well.”
Lewis suffered a neck stinger in the Fiesta Bowl that forced him to be carted off the field on a stretcher and spend two nights in a Phoenix area hospital.
Noble missed the last half of a season due to lingering effects from a concussion.
FINCH COMING ALONG, TOO
Stoops also noted that rising sophomore running back Roy Finch is “coming along just fine” from a stress fracture on his foot that required surgery and caused him to sit out the Fiesta Bowl.
Said Stoops: “We don't have him running just yet, but there haven't been any setbacks.”
Finch rushed for 398 yards and two touchdowns in eight games his freshman season, averaging 4.7 yards per carry.
NO ATTRITION YET
The Sooners signed 17 players Wednesday. The one problem? That puts them at 90-plus scholarships, well over the NCAA-mandated 85-scholarship limit.
Stoops said no has left the team or transferred yet to make room, but he anticipates that occurring in the next few months.
“It will (work out),” he said. “It's just like last night, one guy (Cooper Washington) changes his mind, goes somewhere else. So I feel good about it, and it's similar to what we've done in the past. I feel it's where most everybody is these days, and I feel comfortable about it.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort