OU football notebook: Sooners' tempo could give UConn problems
Even though Kevin Wilson is no longer offensive coordinator, Oklahoma will still operate its fast-tempo, hurry-up offense in the Fiesta Bowl.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
An attack Connecticut coach Randy Edsall admitted will be difficult for the Huskies to prepare for.
"We can't really simulate the speed with which their offense gets lined up,â€ Edsall said this week. â€œThey're a well-oiled machine on offense.â€
Not all of UConn's players, however, are as concerned with OU's fast pace.
"When we played Michigan, it was all about during camp going quick tempo and conditioning ourselves for that,â€ cornerback Blidi Wreh-Wilson said. "I think we'll be fine with the pace just because when they do the pace we know the plays they're going to run after the quick tempo. A lot of the stuff they run we've seen on film from other teams. They just have great athletes at the skill positions, a good back and a good quarterback, so they have good timing and execution out of it."
MISTER FOURTH QUARTER
Senior wide receiver Cameron Kenney is ending his Sooner career with quite the bang. His fourth quarter catches in wins over Oklahoma and Nebraska might be OU's two biggest receptions of the season.
â€œOur last two games, he came up with some big plays in third down situations when we really needed them,â€ coach Bob Stoops said.
At OSU, Kenney's 86-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter helped put the Cowboys away. Then in the fourth quarter against Nebraska in the Big 12 Championship, Kenney made a 23-yard catch on third-and-24 and followed it up the next play with an 11-yard catch on fourth down to move the chains. All setting up a field goal that put OU ahead for the first time in the game. And put the Sooners up for good.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 56820Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14719Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9122Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7282Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6520Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6448How to help tornado victims
- 6374Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes