OU football notebook: Tom Wort featured in English newspaper
Oklahoma linebacker Tom Wort was featured this week in The Guardian, the popular English newspaper. Wort, who went to high school in Texas, is from England originally.
NewsOK Related Articles
“Starting to get some recognition back home, it's kind of been a dream of mine,” Wort said. “I know American football's starting to pick up over there. It's something I'd like to encourage, young guys over there playing football.”
Wort has 66 tackles in 11 games at middle linebacker this season, and he returned a fumble for a score against Ball State.
Here's an entertaining passage from Wort's story: “Oklahoma University is traditionally one of the most storied college sides and their set up, from the cavernous changing facilities and trophy room to their 85,000 capacity stadium, are easily the equal of many European professional soccer clubs. But the college has struggled to live up to expectations in recent years and the 2010-11 season ended on a sour note when bitter local rivals, Oklahoma State, comprehensively defeated the Sooners in the traditional end of season ‘Bedlam' derby.”
The Sooners look to comprehensively defeat Iowa on Friday in the Insight Bowl.
RECEIVERS FOCUS ON MINIMIZING DROPPED PASSES
Oklahoma was plagued by dropped passes late in the season after consistently catching most passes during an 8-1 start. The Sooners had six dropped passes, alone, in the first half against Oklahoma State.
“After that game, coaches talked to us about discipline and character,” sophomore Kenny Stills said. “A lot of drops came from little things like looking the ball in (to your hands).
“On tape, the ball is right there, but a guy would be looking the other way. That's what we've been trying to improve on.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17917Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 11872Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10569OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10552Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 10275Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9958Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9874Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss