OU football notebook: Trent Ratterree living the dream
Wide receiver Ryan Broyles, the other half of OU's dynamic duo, also chose a cartoon.
“I loved watching Tom and Jerry,” Broyles said.
INJURY A BLESSING IN DISGUISE
Running back Roy Finch missed half of his freshman season after suffering a fractured ankle weeks before the season opener. Finch said the injury forced him to re-evaluate things.
“That injury, it changed my life,” Finch said. “Not just football-wise. ... It helped me come closer to myself and closer to God. I think that's what it most impacted. College football is just a little aspect of my life. It's me and my family and me and God.”
MARTINEZ COMPARED TO VENABLES
In the early segments of EPSN's series, “Training Days of the Oklahoma Sooners,” defensive backs coach Willie Martinez was shown yelling instructions.
Because defensive coordinator Brent Venables is known for his vocal style, Martinez was asked how many similarities he has to Venables.
"Zero," Martinez said. "He has hair. I have none. He's shorter. I'm taller. ... Coach Venables is a great teacher. It's easy to follow his lead. He has great leadership skills.
"He's very vocal. I've always been that way. Whether that's because of my demeanor, coaching in the secondary you're forced to do it. You have to constantly communicate. Those kids have to be able to feed off you."
MOM APPROVES OF HAIRCUT
Senior defensive end Frank Alexander last season wore dreadlocks. This season his hair is shaved close.
“My mom wasn't a big fan of me growing the dreads in the first place,” Alexander said. “I guess it was just a phase I was going through, try anything out. I like the fade (cut) better. In fact it's time to go get it tight.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in