OU football notes: Austin Haywood's blocking vastly improved
The primary reason tight end Austin Haywood played sparingly as a freshman was he struggled at times blocking.
"He's come a long way the last 12 months," said tight ends coach Bruce Kittle. "He's really made up his mind to get after it. He's one the most physical blockers we've had in our offensive line group. I feel real good about him."
Videoview all videos
Aug 7Will the Sooners run a new offense this season? Offensive...
Aug 7Brent Venables addresses the media, talking about the...
Aug 6Full, unedited video of OU head football coach Bob Stoops...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Kittle said James Hanna remains the starting tight end because of experience, but Haywood is pushing for a larger role.
JONES ON TRACK FOR TEXAS
Starting right offensive tackle Jarvis Jones suffered a knee injury during the spring but is on track to return for Texas (Oct. 8).
"He's rehab has gone well," Kittle said. "He has good flexibility. His range of motion is exceeding what we had hoped for at this point. It's just a matter of rebuilding strength to go full speed. But he's on pace. There's nothing that's happened so far to make us think he won't be ready to play against Texas."
SOONERS PRACTICE TWICE TODAY
The term two-a-days is misleading. The Sooners have only four two-a-days scheduled. The first double session is Tuesday. The morning practice will begin at 8 a.m. The evening session will begin at 6 or 6:30.
"If you can spread it out over more days, players stay healthier, they stay more fresh," said coach Bob Stoops. "You have more time in meetings. It's a lot better now than the way it used to be."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort