OU football recruiting: Juco punter Jed Barnett expected to compete for job vacated by Tress Way
When Jed Barnett announced his decision to walk on at Cal three years ago, the kicker/punter from Camas, Wash., was confident he'd soon have a scholarship.
It look longer than he'd planned and a stint in junior college but Barnett finally fulfilled those hopes in December when he signed with Oklahoma.
Barnett, who averaged 41.3 yards per punt last season at Laney College in Oakland, Calif., has been on campus since January.
With the graduation of Tress Way, Barnett (6-foot-2, 215 pounds) is expected to compete for the starting punter job this season.
Barnett initially appeared headed to Louisiana Tech after junior college.
The Bulldogs were one of two Division I programs to offer Barnett out of high school before Barnett decided to take a chance as a walk-on at Cal. Idaho State was the other.
There, he was expected to be the heir apparent to two-time Ray Guy Award winner Ray Allen.
Not long after he committed to Tech, though, a visit to Norman for the Sooners' 51-48 overtime win over Oklahoma State on Nov. 24 changed Barnett's mind.
He was hosted by kicker Michael Hunnicutt, who Barnett has known for several years after meeting at kicking camps around the country.
Barnett has already used a redshirt season though might be able to receive a medical redshirt for his second season at Cal after he suffered a herniated disc during the 2011 season.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims