OU football: Sterling Shepard will wear No. 3, just like his late father
Brennan Clay and Joe Powell, who both wore jersey No. 3 last season, have switched for 2012.
NORMAN — Sterling Shepard now has one more way to carry his father's legacy with him.
The true freshman Oklahoma receiver will wear jersey No. 3 this fall, according to his high school coach, Heritage Hall's Andy Bogert.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The number was once his father's. Derrick Shepard was a standout OU receiver in the mid-1980s and played five NFL seasons.
He died of a heart attack in 1999, when Sterling was just six years old. Sterling Shepard wore No. 3 throughout this stellar high school career at Heritage Hall.
Last year, No. 3 was worn at OU by both running back Brennan Clay and defensive back Joe Powell.
Clay switched to No. 24, which was previously worn by now departed receiver Dejuan Miller, and Powell changed to No. 19, worn by then-senior Jesse Bell.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14121OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 13945Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8893Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6932Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5880Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5330Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5280Student shot dead during botched home invasion