OU fullback Trey Millard seeks bragging rights beyond a ring Saturday against Missouri
OU NOTEBOOK – When friends in his hometown of Columbia, Mo., razzed Trey Millard about losing to Missouri last year, the Oklahoma fullback flashed his Big 12 championship ring
NORMAN -- When sophomore fullback Trey Millard returned home to Columbia, Mo., last summer for a couple of weeks, friends razzed him about OU's 36-27 loss to Missouri last season. His rebuttal?
He flashed his Big 12 championship ring.
Friends from Columbia will be attending Saturday night's game in Norman. Everyone will be rooting for Millard to play well, but some will be rooting for the Tigers.
“The ones that are Mizzou diehards will have to get tickets on their own,” Millard said, smiling. “It would be extra special if we could win this one.”
TRAVIS LEWIS' ‘MOUTH WAS RUNNING' ALL NIGHT IN TALLAHASSEE
Besides making plays, senior linebacker Travis Lewis, the Sooners' leading tackler the past three seasons, also brings intangibles like calling plays and energy.
“I was talking mess the whole game,” Lewis said. “I was in rare form. My mouth was running. At one point (Florida State quarterback) EJ (Manuel) wanted to kill me.
“We were just having fun with it. Football is a violent game. At the end of the game, we'll shake hands and tell them, ‘Good job.' But during the game, those 60 minutes, we want to demoralize them.”
STOOPS ON RED-ZONE ISSUES: ‘WE MISSED BLOCKS'
The Sooners moved into the red zone five times against Florida State. They settled for three field goals and two touchdowns but also showed some potential in the running game on a game-opening touchdown drive and a game-clinching field goal drive.
“We missed some blocks. We missed our assignments a couple of times,” said coach Bob Stoops. “It needs to get better. But do I think it's better than a year ago? Yeah, by a long shot. Are we there, yet? This is the second game. No way. I think it will get better.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13360Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9892Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9697Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8639Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6622Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5282Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister