OU Goes Back to Drawing Board It's Time for OU to Slow Down, And Find Right Man for the Job
But keep in mind, Smith got hot simply because his team got hot for two games in the NCAA Tournament.
Tulsa supposedly was the 63rd team chosen for the 64-team NCAA field last month. Charleston (S.C.) was believed to have been the lone at-large team taken after TU.
If the Golden Hurricane hadn't received that NCAA bid, how hot would Smith be now?
If TU hadn't beat two underachieving teams in the Midwest Regional at the Myriad (UCLA and OSU), how hot would Smith be now?
Prior to the NCAA Tournament, the Hurricane lost to Northern Iowa in the Missouri Valley Tournament. How hot was Smith then?
Remember, OSU beat Smith and Co. by 12 in Tulsa earlier in the year.
Remember, Tubbs' mediocre Sooners thrashed Smith and Co. by 19 for the All College Tournament title in December.
It's OK to remember TU's success in the Midwest Regional.
But two games do not a season make. And two games should not warrant a coach getting a job for which he might be underqualified.
These are not knocks against Smith, per se. This is how the hiring process often works. It's crazy.
It'll take further success for Smith to prove he's not a flash-in-the-pan.
Tubbs had 12 straight 20-win seasons at OU. That's not a flash, that's proof.
If TU goes .500 next season, how hot is Smith?
Oklahoma needs to aim high - a big-name coach from a big-name school who likely will seek big-time bucks.
Will OU cough up the cash?
"We're in the ballgame," Duncan said of competing with what other colleges might offer. "But if that's the only consideration, then he (the candidate) is probably not the right man for here. " BIOG: NAME:Archive ID: 572002
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 18669Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9301Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7759Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6777UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6417Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed